About Me

My photo
Teacher in Aberdeen. New beginnings happening very soon. Watch this space.

Sunday 29 August 2010

A Memory Cherished and Shared

Good evening, readers. Hope all is well with you!

Okay, the summer is almost drawing to a close, so I thought I’d share with you a few treasured memories of my summer holidays in 2010. This entry is a little different, I realise, to my previous entries, but I enjoyed the holidays so much that I could not resist sharing it with you.

In the month of July, I had my very first visit to England. Yes, my FIRST visit. Crazy, right? I’m not exactly far from it. But I had no real reason to go to England, until now that is. My boyfriend is from there, so it was a must that I go see him. I am not one to turn down opportunities to visit new places :D
So, there I am on the plane, ready to take off. I was ridiculously excited. The journey was only an hour long, but seemed so much longer because I just wanted to get there already. Just as we were landing, I could already feel the difference already in temperature, clammy almost. I could not actually believe the heat of the place. Good sign so far! My hair did not like the change in temperature so much though, ha-ha.

Now, let’s skip to a day of beautiful sites and fun all around! That place I am referring to, by the way, is Brighton! I visited Brighton a few times on my trip so I’ll just sum up all my experience there, in one. Brighton Pier is such a lovely place to be at during the lovely summer days. Everywhere you look around there are people with smiles on their faces, simply because they are enchanted by the features that surround them. There is nothing quite like a simple walk along the prom. It is, without a doubt, one of the most relaxing times I have had the pleasure of encountering. It may seem like quite a boring thing for some people, but like I have said, numerous times before; I appreciate the little things in life.
In Brighton I also visited the sea-life centre. That too, was lovely. It’s amazing how a few exotic and rather simple fish can allow you to smile from ear to ear. That’s the effect they had on my anyway.

Now, onto nightlife! I had been told by so many people, that Brighton offers excellent nightlife. So, it goes without saying, that my expectations were pretty high. Now the big question; were they met? Yes. Definitely. Brighton has an awesome nightlife! I was most impressed with one club, Oceana. It is massive and I got lost more times than I would have preferred, ha-ha. That didn’t really take away from the fun though. I still got to dance the night away!

If I were to sum Brighton up in three words, they would be; memorable, happy and exciting. I will certainly look forward to my next visit there.

Now, onto… London! A place that I have always wanted to visit, ever since my brothers told me about it. I always thought that it looked quite impressive on the television. I visited London twice on the trip. The tube was a new experience for me altogether. Of course I have been on trains before, but not on one, then onto another two minutes later and so forth. Certainly handy though! I’ve never seen so many business people on one mode of transport. My first experience of London was Camden Lock and market. Such a great atmosphere! Busy, busy, busy. Camden market is loaded with open-air and indoor markets, each with its own distinctive flavour, lined with a street of shops, bars and restaurants. If you really want to have a proper look at Camden Market, you would definitely need to spend the whole day there. But this was my first time here, so I wanted to see what else London had to offer, of course.

Another memorable moment was my visit to Harrods. I’m sure most of you know that Harrods is a high-end department store, located in Knightsbridge. One word; wow. This place screams elegance. I actually felt underdressed in my jeans! I felt like I should be wearing a dress along with my pearls. It was crazy. This store was simply beautiful, but you would want to be armed with no less than five-hundred pounds. I wanted to buy something from there, so I settled for a few little gifts for my parents and an adorable little pen for myself. This is another place you would want to spend the day. I think I fell a little too much in love with the furniture department. I’ve never seen such beautiful bits and pieces.

A great way to see the sites of London is of course, via the London eye. It’s half an hour long and even better if you have someone to experience it with and for them to tell you about the various buildings you are looking at. Be prepared for a very long wait in a queue! But it is well-worth it. Also during my time in London, I went on the sightseeing bus and a boat, which was beautiful!

I really did not want to leave England. There is so much to see and do, but just not enough time. I loved every second of it, from the beautiful pier and beach to the busy streets of London.

My holiday was not yet over though. I was now going from England to Ireland! I know I’m from there, but I had to play the role of a tourist guide this time for my boyfriend. It was his first time to Ireland so, even better.

The majority of the holiday was spent in the South, except from the first night, which was spent in the North; Belfast. We landed at Belfast Airport and now had the task of phoning a million different places trying to find a place to sleep for the night. I had given up hope, but a kind lady who worked at the airport suggested a place for us and yay, we got a bed for the night! I must say, our accommodation was absolutely gorgeous. It was like a bachelor’s flat actually! I wanted to stay for the week. Oh well.



So, the next day we travelled practically the length of Ireland, via bus. Not so much fun! Anyway, we finally arrived down South (Tipperary) and rested at my mother’s house for the rest of the evening. There isn’t exactly much to see in the tiny little village where we were staying so I suggested a trip to Dublin. I, myself, have only travelled through Dublin and have never taken the time to explore the cultural, fascinating city. But now I had an excuse to do it! Yay. A good way of seeing Dublin is via the sightseeing bus. I learned a lot about Dublin on that bus. One of the most interesting facts I learned was that the MGM Lion at the beginning of movies, was from Dublin Zoo! Awesome, right!? The tour lady was just lovely as well!

My favourite thing we did at Dublin was the visit to the Guinness Factory (Dublin’s number one tourist attraction). We learned how Guinness is made, learning the details of every stage to get that perfect ending taste. We also poured our own perfect pint of Guinness and have certificates to prove it! It was so much fun. There are numerous floors of fascinating information. It’s a must see.
Dublin is another place where you need a purse or wallet filled with money and a place you need to spend the week, not just a day. There is countless things to do in the historic city.

I loved showing the Emerald Isles off! We did various other things including taking in the sites of Fethard (which took all of five minutes) and shopping in Cork!
We had a really great time in Ireland and I hope to show more of it off another time!
All in all I had such a great and memorable summer! I met some amazing people, saw amazing sites and learned so much that I’ll never forget!

I hope summer 2011 will be just as good. It just allows me to appreciate things even more. Thanks to everyone who made it a wonderful summer. You have no idea how much it means to me.

With Love,
Lisa xx

No comments:

Post a Comment